Thursday, December 7, 2006

Habaneros (Sold)


6x6", oil on masonite panel

These bad boys will put a hurt on your tastebuds! That's why nature made them this color, I think. I caught one of my cats trying to EAT these when I turned my back for a minute (cats are color blind). He would have been crying for days.

This is only my fourth daily painting, but I'm starting to see an improvement already. It's been a while since I've painted alla prima, and I've never painted this small before, so it's been a little tricky.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Nice Job on these daily paintings, Kim. They look great.

Andrew Kottenstette said...

My recipe:

2 lbs carrots
2 habaneros
1/2 sweet onion
2 limes
1 red bell pepper
1/2 tsp. salt

steam carrots until soft. mash like potatoes, de-vein and remove seeds of Habaneros (unless you are completely insensate), do same with bell pepper. progressively put in blender with juice of onion and limes, and bell pepper. go ahead and salt. add carrots. Makes about a quart and a half.

Serve over burritos, tacos, or whatever. Makes a nice summer dip for corn chips. Beware! The intensity of it opens up your capilaries after a while, giving a sort of "blood rush".

You can also vary it with lemon, or tangerine juice, or ginger, garlic, and cilantro.

KimKibby said...

OK Andrew - not afraid of the heat, I see! Thanks for the recipe...

Anonymous said...

these are nice, I love painting peppers myself.

having any luck on ebay?

Andrew Kottenstette said...

If I recall right, the orange pigments are slow dryers. How long do you expect it will be before you can varnish this one? Doesn't look like it could be very thick paint though.